Posted to alt.food.wine
Agent Red Agent Red is offline

Default 2004 Wild West Winery, "Calamity" Rosé

2004 Wild West Winery, "Calamity" Rosé

Mission Codename: Calamity Rhonda

Operative: Agent Blush

Objective: With temperatures hitting record highs across the country,
our hot and thirsty Operatives have been demanding a refreshing rose
wine. Locate a superior rose and secure an ample quantity

Mission Status: Accomplished!

Current Winery: Wild West Winery

Wine Subject: 2004 Calamity, Rose of Cabernet Sauvignon

Winemaker: Rhonda Hood

Backgrounder: Back in February we uncovered a double agent at Wild
West Winery and, in the process, uncovered an original and bold
Cabernet Sauvignon. Today, Agent Rose is sent back to Wild West Winery
to recover their delicious and unique rose of Cabernet Sauvignon. Read
her tasting notes below, followed by a retelling of our original
mission to Wild West.

Wine Spies Tasting Profile:

Look – A beautiful sparkling copper to peach in color, this wine has a
super tight surface that settles quickly when swirled, leaving behind
fat, tightly-packed and slow-moving legs

Smell – A front of the nose blast of bright pineapple, citrus and
peach are followed by a more subtle deep-nose aromas of soft candied
pear, Fuji apple and subtlest pomegranate

Feel – Light, round and very wet in the mouth, with a glycerin
slickness, then drying with medium tannins

Taste – Tropical flavors with pronounced pineapple, peach, and an
almost hidden tart raspberry, with flinty mineral

Finish – Sweet then slightly tart with a slight zing at the end as
flavors fall off slowly with a hint of tannic dryness

Conclusion – Its about time we located a fun and tasty Rose. And, its
about time that I got to review a wine. Winemaker Rhonda has created a
unique Rose that is anything but the kerosene-JetFuel concoction than
some lower-priced Roses. This is a wine with a unique character, deep
aromas and great flavors. With the high temps that we have been
experiencing here in California’s wine country, this wine, served well-
chilled, is the perfect afternoon refresher! Sipped on its own, it
easily delights as an afternoon aparetif. Served with a light summer
waldorf salad or a nice cheese plate, this wine also shines. In fact,
it glistens, for it is also a pretty wine to behold.