Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default TN: '93 Jadot Pommard

On Jul 11, 11:10�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > Nice notes. I think the Bdx/Burg convergence is probably more evident
> > with the meatier areas like Pommard, Corton, and Gevrey, rather than
> > the more elegant villages lke Volnay and Chambolle, but that's totally
> > conjecture, just musing as I type.

> Makes sense to me. �I never got that sense from any of the '88s we've
> consumed over the past 1-2 years, but that list is mostly Volnay with a
> few CdN GCs.
>
> > I've heard good arguments that Rugiens and Epenots are of GC quality.

> ...in the hands of a top producer, perhaps. �But, to me, no Village has
> more disappointing producers in it than Pommard, especially when
> constrasted with Volnay. �Apart from Jadot, Drouhin(?), de Montille and
> D'Angerville, I can't really think of anyone making good wine in
> Pommard. �I see that Nicolas Potel now makes wine there, but I haven't
> seen anything about it.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

I have to agree Pommard. Nothing really charming about the wines
from there although I still have a few '98 Epenots from Vincent
Girardin that aren't bad. I also find a convergence on older brg/bdx
melding together but I tend to find that it holds true for many red
wines from various regions when they get old enough they all tend to
get similar flavor profiles. For some it might take 30+ years but
eventually they all seem to get that earthy, cigarbox, leathery
notes. Just as older white wines tend to get nutty with age...or
maybe it's just me.