Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Recipe for Baja Fish Tacos

On Jul 10, 8:16*pm, Ablang > wrote:
> .... Baja Fish Tacos
>
> From Every Day with Rachael Ray
> February 2007

This post is at least 9 years later than the first time I posted about
fish tacos in rfc.
> * * * * * * * * 2 cups shredded red cabbage

No, they use regular green (white?) cabbage in Baja.

> * * * * * * * * 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro

No, cilantro doesn't automatically go in every Mexican dish.

> * * * * * * * * 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons red salsa

Optional at the end.

> * * * * * * * * Salt
> * * * * * * * * 1/3 cup sour cream

Fresh crema or mayo. Mayo mixed with sour cream is a viable
alternative.

> * * * * * * * * 2 cups cornmeal
> * * * * * * * * 3 large eggs

No, no. You want a light batter, like a beer batter or tempura. Not
a thick heavy one.

> * * * * * * * * 1 pound cod, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices

Cod is the most common substitute. In Baja it's whichever firm white
flesh fish was caught this morning. Most often yellowtail.

> * * * * * * * * Vegetable oil, for frying
> * * * * * * * * Eight 6-inch soft corn tortillas
>
> DIRECTIONS:
> 1. In a medium bowl, toss the cabbage, cilantro, 1/4 cup salsa and
> salt to taste. In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream and
> remaining 3 tablespoons salsa. Set both aside.

No, just chop or shred the cabbage. Salt it if you like.

> 2. In a shallow dish, whisk together the cornmeal and 1 tablespoon
> salt. In another shallow dish, beat the eggs with a fork. Coat the
> fish slices in the cornmeal, then in the egg, then in the cornmeal
> again, and place on a plate.

No, see above.

> 3. In a medium cast-iron or other heavy skillet, pour the oil to a
> depth of 1 1/2 inches and heat over medium heat until the surface
> ripples, about 2 minutes.

You don't really have to deep fry them. Use enough oil so that the
thickness of the pieces will all be covered when the pieces are
turned.

> Add about a third of the fish slices to the
> skillet and cook, turning once, until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer
> with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-lined plate. Repeat with the
> remaining fish slices.

> 4. In a large skillet, warm the tortillas on both sides over high
> heat.

Or just put them directly over your gas flame.

> Spread about 1 teaspoon sour cream sauce on a tortilla, then top
> with a few pieces fish and heaping spoonful of the slaw and fold over.
> Repeat with the remaining tacos.

No. Tortilla, fish, squeezes of fresh lime, cabbage, mayo/crema, more
lime. Optional salsa usually omitted.

For the record, I don't think RR's approach is bad. But if you're
going to use a specific name like "Baja fish tacos" then you are
saying this is how they do them in Baja California. Her way is not,
mine is. People may like eating them either way, or both, which is
the important thing. -aem