Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Hoges in WA Hoges in WA is offline

Default Recipe and Menu help sought.

Hi
I have a special guest coming for dinner tomorrow night and I've found a
recipe for Chilli & Orange Duck in one of my Mexican cook books.

I would appreciate some assistance from the knowledgeable with what I plan
to do.

First, the Chilli paste bit requires Achiote paste. I do not know what that
is as I can find descriptions of it but can't work out what makes it. E.g.
"a brick-red paste that imparts a red-yellow colour and a citrus-saffron
flavour".
Can anyone tell me what I could use instead if I can't find this. I must
admit I have never in my life seen it. It may not be important as the
recipe only asks for 2 teaspoons.

Second, can anyone suggest accompaniments for this? The picture in the
cookbook (I only have cookbooks with pictures) has the dish itself
surrounded by some of those fat black dried chillies and some halved
oranges, so it's not giving me any hints here. Potato chunks of some kind?
Some sort of Mexican rice dish?

I told this person that we would have Indian but then changed horses
midstream and have come unstuck a little with my change of plan. There is
ego at stake here!

Some suggestions would be welcomed.

Hoges in WA
PS - I done gone bought the duck and it's defrosting right now.