Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: '93 Jadot Pommard

As I was leaving work, Jean told me that she'd be home for dinner by 8,
and requested a meal of duck breasts, potatoes and spinach. I obliged
by searing and broiling the duck breasts, roasting the fingerling
potatoes in olive oil with garlic and sauteing the spinach in EVOO with
garlic, black pepper and a dash of lemon. She'd also requested a "great
wine" with this meal, so I went down to the cellar and brought back:

1993 Louis Jadot Pommard 1er Grands Èpenots
color: ruby red, going brick at the rim
nose: pencil lead! herbaceous, cherries, cedar, minerals
palate: medium body, good spine of acidity, black cherry fruit, pencil lead

Purchased at Sam's at a Warehouse Sale during their relocation for $35
or so, this was one of my first serious Burgundy purchases. Tonight,
this wine illustrated the old adage that Burgundy and Bordeaux converge
with age: it had a very Bordelaise nose, and could easily have passed
for a claret with 20+ years of age on it. The fruit was shaded to the
black side of the Pinot Nor spectrum, too, adding to the impression. It
went well with the duck and got better as the meal went on. Although
ready now, it'll probably last another 3-5 years, especially if your
cellar is colder than our passively cooled one.

Mark Lipton