Posted to rec.food.preserving
Anny Middon Anny Middon is offline

Default Headspace

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.. .
> wrote:
>> I made cherry jam last night. One of the jars has about 3/4" of
>> headspace instead of the 1/4" specified in the BBB recipe. They all
>> pinged up just lovely. Can I still store the short one like the other 2
>> or do I have to put
>> it in the fridge and use it now?

> I've had that happen before and just stored them as I did the rest of the
> batch. As long as it is sealed it should stay good.

I'll just add a caveat that you should probably use the jar first, before
the ones with less headspace.

I'm going from memory here, but I think more headspace increases the chance
of getting some oxidation (or maybe it just causes oxidation to happen
sooner). Oxidation won't make you sick, but it does deteriorate the taste
of the jam.

Anny