Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Willy Willy is offline

Default My last three days

"Robert Miles" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Willy" > wrote in message

>>> No, some of my spikes are at 15 minutes, depending on the type of food
>>> and composition of the whole meal. A delayed spike (2 hours) may mean
>>> you have a lot of fat with your carbs or perhaps some gastroparesis.
>>> What drugs/insulin do you take, if any? Traditionally, doctors have
>>> advised to test at 2 hours to see if your bg's are back within normal
>>> range. If you are spiking at 2 hours then you are not back in range and
>>> you may need to finetune your meals more. I have found that any spiking
>>> is well and truly over by the one hour mark for me.

>> I take 2x500 Metformin and 35 units of Novolin (at bedtime). I think
>> perhaps I must be one that digests slowly as My spikes consistently occur
>> at 2 hours, and NEVER spike before that. I've been doing a LOT of
>> testing lately, and that's the case regardless of what I've eaten.
>>
>> Willy

> Are you also testing after that, to make sure the spike isn't even later?
> Some foods, such as pizza, tend to digest slower than most other foods,
> and for these, peaks at 3 or 4 hours are common.

No, honestly I've never tested beyond two hours, except I often eat again at
4 hours, and usually test before the next meal. I can't think of any time
recently where I've found my numbers were higher, although I've had many
cases where they stayed at an elevated level.

Again, my experience has been brief, so I can't say this is will always be
the case, but it seems that if my bg levels get elevated, they tend to stay
elevated (beyond the morning level) for the duration of the day UNLESS I
exercise.

Willy