Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tumeric vs. Turmeric

wrote on Mon, 30 Jun 2008 01:04:22 -0700
(PDT):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turmeric

> Whenever I hear it pronounced "tumeric", I can't help thinking
> of tumors.

> Shouldn't professional chefs, food scientists, writers and
> critics learn the proper names of their ingredients?

While you are correct, it's a pretty common misspelling. Even if Google
says "Did you mean turmeric", there were 317,000 hits, altho' there were
3,140,000 for "turmeric". Those who spell it tumeric probably are those
who pronounce it "too....".

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not