Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Retired VIP Retired VIP is offline

Default Starter pH difference for whole wheat vs white flour

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 21:06:17 -0700 (PDT), Doc >
wrote:

>Just some food for thought. I ran an experiment comparing the pH of
>two samples of the same starter refreshed with different flours. Both
>samples consisted of 10g of starter + 50g water + 50g flour. Both ran
>at the same temperature (75°F to 78°F). One was made with fresh
>ground whole wheat flour, the other was made with enriched, bleached
>high gluten white flour. I think this demonstrates the phenomena of
>whole grain flour buffering the starter and allowing the accumulation
>of more total acid before the LAB growth shuts down at a pH below 4.0.
>The most interesting result is the increase in pH during the first
>hour. Anybody care to speculate on why this happens?
>
>Look here for data:
>http://picasaweb.google.com/DocDough/StarterPH/photo?authkey=W5xf8wUEzog#5217143234399849442"><im gsrc="http://lh5.ggpht.com/DocDough/SGcEIUy8S-I/AAAAAAAABEI/OoT2ArgoJQs/s144/Starter%20pH.jpg
>
>Doc

Hi Doc,

I don't mean to sound like a smart-a-s here but this is about the same
thing as saying "These two loaves of bread were made with different
ingredients yet they taste different."

What would be a surprise is if the starting and ending pH of the two
samples were the same.

Jack