Posted to rec.food.cooking
Phluge Phluge is offline

Default Adjusting appliance temps w/ no rheostat

"maxine in ri" > wrote in message
> OK all you home-handypersons, mechanical geniuses and electrical
> wiring experts, have i got a question for you!
>
> I got a new yogurt maker at a yard sale (lady had a failed
> kitchen store business, it was brand new in the box sealed
> etc.) First batch came out grainy (probably my fault)
> so I made the second batch under closer observation.
>
> Finished product was just over 130 degrees, which is
> the high end for yogurt cultures.
>
> Is there some way i can build a temperature control into
> the electric wire to reduce the temperature, or do I need
> to count this up to the usual yard sale failure?
>
> maxine in ri, soldering iron at the ready

Adding a temp control to the wire would require a temp sensor probe going
into the area that heats the yogurt. That would not be so practical --
however you could splice in a heavy duty dimmer switch, such as for a
ceiling fan (the kind you replace a light switch with) and you could use
that to adjust the heat -- all you would need to do then was heat some water
at varied settings and measure the temp with a thermometer until you find
the temp you want, then just leave it at that setting. Don't use a dimmer
that is only for lights, as that would be too small current -- one for a
fan (motor) would be OK for something that only warms to 130°.

If you have a permanent place for the yogurt maker, you could simply splice
the dimmer switch into the wires by twisting them together and screwing on
those splice caps (same as electricians do with ceiling fans and lights). If
you plan to move it around a lot you would want to solder the connections or
tape them securely, or do both.

pflu