Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Adjusting appliance temps w/ no rheostat

Steve wrote on Thu, 26 Jun 2008 17:23:26 +0000 (UTC):

>> OK all you home-handypersons, mechanical geniuses and
>> electrical wiring experts, have i got a question for you!
>>
>> I got a new yogurt maker at a yard sale (lady had a failed
>> kitchen store business, it was brand new in the box sealed
>> etc.) First batch came out grainy (probably my fault)
>> so I made the second batch under closer observation.
>>
>> Finished product was just over 130 degrees, which is
>> the high end for yogurt cultures.
>>
>> Is there some way i can build a temperature control into
>> the electric wire to reduce the temperature, or do I need
>> to count this up to the usual yard sale failure?
>>
>> maxine in ri, soldering iron at the ready

> Sure. Although the classy way would be to use a rheostat or
> variable autotransformer, but can guesstimate the value (in

It depends a lot on the design but you can be quite low-tech! If the
yoghurt is made in a removable container, you could put some sort of
insulation like cardboard below the pot. We used to do this quite a lot
when using a warming tray and in this case the insulation was a
dishtowel!
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not