Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
TokyoB TokyoB is offline

Default An Ji Bai Cha - low caffeine, easy on the stomach? Best sourcesthis year?

On Jun 22, 4:01*pm, juliantai > wrote:
> On Jun 22, 1:52 am, "Dominic T." > wrote:
>

> > On Jun 21, 6:33 pm, TokyoB > wrote:

> > > Hello. Like others I seem to be sensitive to too much caffeine and
> > > most greens, whether Chinese (like long jing), Japanese sencha or low
> > > oxidized Taiwan oolongs, bother my stomach as well. When I explained
> > > this to the folks at Seven Cups Tea they recommended the An Ji Bai
> > > Cha. It was very good (but it is light!), slight sweetness, and seems
> > > to be low in caffeine and doesn't bother my stomach. *However their
> > > (organic) pre-Qing Ming An Ji Bai Cha is about $30 for 25 grams. *So,
> > > has anyone else tried An Ji Bai Cha this year? If so, how was it and
> > > where did you buy it from and what was the cost?

> > Have you every tried a yellow tea? It has some of the characteristics
> > of a green tea while being lighter and I would imagine easier on the
> > guts. I'm sure it's no secret that I have quite an affinity for Huo
> > Shan Huang Ya and it might be worth a shot. My only other question
> > would be if you have tried different types of green tea, like a Bi Lo
> > chun (which is much lighter than most greens to me) or a Tai Ping Hou
> > Kui? Outside of that if you can hang with it, would be some Kuding Cha
> > which is a holly leaf and once you get past the bitterness (which may
> > be good for the stomach) it has a pleasant and sweet flavor.

> > - Dominichttp://teasphere.wordpress.com

> Anji Baicha has made quite a wave in China, and the bulk prices is
> comparable or more to other high priced teas such as Xihu Longjing
> etc.
>
> I don't think it is low in caffeine, but more because it is high in
> theanine, so in the same category as the white teas, but more cooked.
>
> If price is an issue, I would suggest you try some other teas. If
> green tea doesn' really work out, try some dark oolongs or herbal
> teas. Alternatively, check up for more tips here ...
>
> http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/gre...gastric-irrita...
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> Julianhttp://www.amazing-green-tea.com

Thanks everyone for the tips. I do find that black teas and more
heavily roasted oolongs are pretty easy on the stomach. Teas which
get bitter easily (catechins and caffeine?) are a problem although
under certain conditions these seem to be ok.
Has anyone else tried An Ji Bai Cha this year? I did find it at Jing
Tea in the UK (www.jingtea.com) for a lower price. (Note that this is
not www.jingteashop.com)