Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
juliantai[_3_] juliantai[_3_] is offline

Default An Ji Bai Cha - low caffeine, easy on the stomach? Best sourcesthis year?

On Jun 22, 1:52 am, "Dominic T." > wrote:
> On Jun 21, 6:33 pm, TokyoB > wrote:
>
> > Hello. Like others I seem to be sensitive to too much caffeine and
> > most greens, whether Chinese (like long jing), Japanese sencha or low
> > oxidized Taiwan oolongs, bother my stomach as well. When I explained
> > this to the folks at Seven Cups Tea they recommended the An Ji Bai
> > Cha. It was very good (but it is light!), slight sweetness, and seems
> > to be low in caffeine and doesn't bother my stomach. However their
> > (organic) pre-Qing Ming An Ji Bai Cha is about $30 for 25 grams. So,
> > has anyone else tried An Ji Bai Cha this year? If so, how was it and
> > where did you buy it from and what was the cost?

> Have you every tried a yellow tea? It has some of the characteristics
> of a green tea while being lighter and I would imagine easier on the
> guts. I'm sure it's no secret that I have quite an affinity for Huo
> Shan Huang Ya and it might be worth a shot. My only other question
> would be if you have tried different types of green tea, like a Bi Lo
> chun (which is much lighter than most greens to me) or a Tai Ping Hou
> Kui? Outside of that if you can hang with it, would be some Kuding Cha
> which is a holly leaf and once you get past the bitterness (which may
> be good for the stomach) it has a pleasant and sweet flavor.
>
> - Dominichttp://teasphere.wordpress.com

Anji Baicha has made quite a wave in China, and the bulk prices is
comparable or more to other high priced teas such as Xihu Longjing
etc.

I don't think it is low in caffeine, but more because it is high in
theanine, so in the same category as the white teas, but more cooked.

If price is an issue, I would suggest you try some other teas. If
green tea doesn' really work out, try some dark oolongs or herbal
teas. Alternatively, check up for more tips here ...

http://www.amazing-green-tea.com/gre...rritation.html

Hope it helps.

Julian
http://www.amazing-green-tea.com