Posted to rec.food.cooking
Victor Sack[_1_] Victor Sack[_1_] is offline

Default Hungry for horse meat

Bob Terwilliger > wrote:

> Victor submitted for our attention:
>
> > I met the vice president, Eric Vigoureux, behind his refrigerated
> > trailer at the market.

> Did anybody else find that a bit odd? "Meet me behind the trailer; we'll
> have a colloquy."

The really odd bit is contained in this part:
"In other European and Asian countries - including Japan, China,
Belgium, Germany and Switzerland - horse meat is a dietary staple."

To proclaim that horse meat is at present a staple in Germany is beyond
ridiculous. For example, in Düsseldorf it can now be found only at two
market stalls at two different markets (real markets, not supermarkets,
BTW) and, to the best of my knowledge, nowhere else. There was a time
when horsemeat was indeed commonplace in Germany, with, for example,
Sauerbraten having been traditionally made with horse meat in the
Rhineland and some other regions, but this is fairly rarely encountered
nowadays, which is perhaps unfortunate, and many people would recoil at
the mere mention of it, just like in the USA.

> I had a horse cheeseburger in Italy. As noted in the article, the meat is a
> bit sweeter than beef, but quite well-flavored.

Years ago, some horse meat products could be found for a very short time
at one of the Costco-like establishments here. I once bought some
Bratwürste there, which just happened to be some of the best I have ever
had, before or since. I have also eaten smoked salame-like sausages
ostensibly prepared according to a Russian recipe, which I purchased at
one of the branches of the local Russian supermarket chain (which is not
really Russian, as most products are actually produced in Germany or
imported from Poland and some other East-European countries).

Victor