Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jed[_1_] Jed[_1_] is offline

Default Hungry for horse meat

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 19:37:28 -0700, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>In article >,
> (Victor Sack) wrote:
>
>> The mythic image of the noble horse in American history has weighed most
>> heavily in the anti-horse meat campaign in the United States.
>> Celebrities like the singer Willie Nelson have campaigned to stop the
>> slaughter of horses - in the 1990s, about 100,000 a year were killed,
>> processed and shipped to Europe.

>Nevada alone could supply twenty thousand stringy wild nags for
>immediate consumption worldwide. They are a waterhole stomping, habitat
>destroying, alien species in our wilds with no useful reason to be here.
>Real mustangs are long gone, and they were only a romantic construct in
>the first place.
>I crave wild horse steak and hunger for an open year around season. I'd
>even be open to the idea of airfreighting them back to the Asian steppe
>as an American exercise in showing the world how we do it right because
>we care and we're brainless.
>Now, I'm not talking about Nelly or Dobbin. I'm talking about the half
>ton rats infesting our state without human support other than the
>government and the politics of no-horse destruction.

Yeah, I love deer when they aren't decimating my vegetable garden,
squirrels when they aren't eating my plums, skunks when they don't
stink, blue jays when they aren't attacking my cat, and neighbors cats
when they aren't caterwauling under my window.

But I try to keep it all in perspective.