Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jed[_1_] Jed[_1_] is offline

Default Hungry for horse meat

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 23:48:20 +0200, (Victor Sack)
wrote:

> Hungry for horse meat
>
> By Michael Johnson
>
> International Herald Tribune
>
>BORDEAUX, France: 'I'm so hungry I could eat a horse," I thought to
>myself as I sat down to dinner the other night. If I hadn't picked out
>the steak myself I would have assumed it was a cut of beef. But in fact
>a horse somewhere, probably in East Europe, had to die for this meal.
>
>Having never eaten horse meat, I needed all my willpower to swallow the
>sizzling flesh. The smell and taste were decidedly different, a bit
>sweet, but it went down and it stayed down. To tell you the truth, I
>didn't like it at all. Maybe it's an acquired taste; I might try it
>again some day.

Soon after transferring to a job with a multi-national with an office
in De Meern, Netherlands, I grabbed a bread rol and a vaccum pack of
sandwich meat in the company cafeteria marked "Paard vlees". I
remember remarking to myself at the time about the sweetness of the
meat. Only after browsing my Van Dale Nederlands - Engels dictionary
later in the day did I realize I had had a horsemeat sandwich.

It wasn't bad, and I ate it all, but, given non-rational cultural
constraints, I never purchased it again in the four years I lived
there.