Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger[_1_] Bob Terwilliger[_1_] is offline

Default Hungry for horse meat

Victor submitted for our attention:

> I met the vice president, Eric Vigoureux, behind his refrigerated
> trailer at the market.

Did anybody else find that a bit odd? "Meet me behind the trailer; we'll
have a colloquy."

> Some people can't tell the difference between horse and beef. I once
> overheard an American couple complain in a Paris restaurant that they
> could not find a decent hamburger in the French capital. When a waiter
> came by to take their order, he pointed to the "Steak haché (chevaline)"
> listed on the menu. He did not mention that "chevaline" means horse
> meat. They ordered it.
>
> Ten minutes later they were all happily munching their horse burgers. If
> they had known the truth, they would probably have run screaming into
> the street.

I had a horse cheeseburger in Italy. As noted in the article, the meat is a
bit sweeter than beef, but quite well-flavored.

Bob