Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney Christine Dabney is offline

Default Traditional recipes?

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:33:27 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>I agree with Christine's post. When we had family from Italy visit us,
>we made a turkey dinner, just like Thanksgiving- they loved it!!

When my Australian friend visited me a few weeks ago, I gave her pot
roast. She had never, ever had it. Yes, she eats a lot of beef in
Australia, but it was usually a rib roast, or steaks. Never, ever pot
roast...she was asking me what it was.

She adored the pot roast.

I couldn't really give her any New Mexican food, since she didn't like
spicy food. However, we ate at the restaurant at the Indian Pueblo
Cultural Center here in ABQ, and she had Indian Fry Bread... She
loved that too.. A few days later, I introduced her to
sopapillas...and again, she was in love with them.

I was going to give her the traditional Thanksgiving dinner, as it is
so very American, but we ran out of time....too much sightseeing, etc.
Another reason I don't like to give folks the food of their own
country is that I probably can't do it even half as well as they can
get at home... Plus..travel is about new experiences...at least for
me it is.

Christine, who ate Rocky Mountain Oysters in Colorado