Posted to rec.food.cooking
Zeppo[_1_] Zeppo[_1_] is offline

Default Traditional recipes?

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> Here's mine: Fruity bobotie - a tradtional South African dish:
>
> NB: beef mince = ground beef
>
> http://www.food24.com/Food24/Recipe/0,,12327,00.html
>
> Fruity bobotie
>
> Ingredients
> 3 red onions, chopped
> 4 cloves garlic, minced
> 1 x 10 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
> 45 ml oil
> 15 ml turmeric
> 30 ml garam masala
> 10 ml chilli powder
> 5 ml ground coriander
> 1 kg beef mince
> 2 x 410 g cans tomatoes
> a handful of fresh coriander
> 200 g dried apricots, chopped
> 100 g cashew nuts
> 4 thick slices brown bread, cut into small cubes
> 30 ml chutney
> salt and pepper to taste
> 6 eggs
> 500 ml cream
> 4 bay leaves
>
> Method:
> Preheat the oven to 180 °C. In a large pan, heat oil and gently fry
> onion, garlic, ginger and spices. Add the beef mince and brown. Add
> tomatoes and fresh coriander. Add apricots, nuts, bread and chutney and
> cook for three minutes. Add a little water if too thick. Season and scoop
> the mince into an ovenproof dish. Lightly beat the eggs with the cream and
> pop in the bay leaves. Pour over the mince until covered. Bake in the oven
> for 15 to 20 minutes or until the topping has set and is slightly browned.
>
> TIPS
> Bobotie is traditionally served with yellow rice and raisins, chutneys and
> tomato and onion sambal. Make a delicious sambal with diced mango,
> cucumber, fresh coriander, chilli and a squeeze of lime juice. Make small,
> individual boboties by preparing them in ramekins. You can use milk
> instead of cream for the topping. Use fresh lemon leaves instead of fresh
> bay leaves. Instead of beef mince, use lamb for a richer bobotie or
> ostrich for one that is lower in fat.
>
> Recipe From : FAIRLADY April 01, 2004
>
> Anybody else have something that is traditional and/or typical to your
> country/region that you are willing to share?

Cathy,
OK, this looks great. I need to make this soon.

Any traditional SA vegetarian main course recipes you are aware of? We have
friends from SA coming for dinner in two weeks and I always try to find an
interesting veggie dish for them. A traditional SA dish would really make a
hit with them.

Thanks,
Jon