Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2000 Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle

Bi!! wrote:

> I think that la Chapelle did weaken a bit through the mid 90's but I
> still enjoyed it and have a fair amount in my cellar. I prefer French
> syrah to the monster syrah's from Oz and the wierd ones from
> California. The balance and acidity give La Chapelle a better food
> profile and I tend to match food with it based on the vintage. Big
> vintages with big food, light er vintages with lighter food. I
> recently served a 1997 La Chapelle with grilled rabbit and it worked
> well.

Bill,
I understand what you're saying about La Chapelle, but for the prices
they've been asking for the past decade+ I do expect more than just a
decent food wine. Granted, I don't buy much Hermitage any more from any
source, but from a QPR perspective, La Chapelle has underperformed IMO
since the early '90s.

Mark Lipton
(Hanging on to his few remaining Chaves and scanning the horizons for
quality St. Joseph and Collines Rhodaniennes producers)