Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default 2000 Jaboulet Hermitage La Chapelle

I threw a couple of espresso rubbed beef filets on the grill last
night along with braised collard greens from my garden (a little
bacon, garlic, red pepper flakes and chicken stock) and a cold new
potato and green bean salad. I found a bottle of 2000 La Chapelle in
my vinotemp at my farm so I thought it should work....and it did. The
wine was medium bodied, dark ruby in color and showing just a bit of
pink at the rim. I gave it about 45 minutes in the decanter before
tasting....I got busy at the grill and I was deeply involved in a
glass of Avery Brewing Company Maharaja Imperial IPA that my son sent
me from Denver for fathers day. In any case, the La Chapelle was
showing iron and stones on the nose with a bit of smokey bacon.
Nicely elegant on the palate with a red raspberry and red currant
flavor followed by a bit of coffee, green herb and a nice high toned
acidity. Not the huge monster that Hermitage can sometimes be but
well balanced Syrah. B+ on the Dale Scale (a solid A for The Maharaja
IPA btw.)