Posted to alt.food.barbecue
VegA VegA is offline

Default Does BBQ sauce really go bad (if refrigerated)?>>>ATTN:BOB

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 16:16:55 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:

>"VegA" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>Hint. Meat will only absorb the chemicals that form the smoke ring up to
>>>about 140 degrees. If it takes longer to get there, the ring will be
>>>deeper.
>>>

>>>BOB
>>>

>> Thanks for responding.
>>
>> I'm gonna be doing 2 butts this Sat. I will try them room temp and
>> cold and see for my self. I didn't buy the sand in place of water
>> thing till I tried it and I am now a sand guy forever!
>>

>Believe me, it works.
>
>I still use water to help keep the temperature in the 212ish range.
>
>BOB
>who actually hates those fake chemically induced rings

Well I did what I said. I brought one butt to room temp and took one
outta the fridge. Slow cooked over mesq. for about 13 hours. The
fridged one took 1 hour and 40 min. longer.

Had a 3/8 inch or so smoke ring on both of them.

The only difference I can confirm is that one took longer than the
other to cook.

I must say that I do apply a very heavy rub so that may have hindered
the ring development. That said, 3/8 inch is still very good.

Just thought I would report back on my results.