Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young Nancy Young is offline

Default preserving vegetables for the short term

James Silverton wrote:

> Those are some pretty good tips that I won't repeat but I'd add that
> celery keeps very well in a plastic bag in a crisper. It may blanch
> but I prefer white to green anyway. The leaves will turn brown long
> before the stalks are unappetizing even if a small amount of cut end
> needs trimming. In my experience, parsley and cilantro keep best in
> plastic bags in the fridge if dry rather than damp even if stores
> tend to sprinkle them with water.

The most recent issue of Cook's Illustrated covered this subject
and this is the one tip I found interesting, even though I think I've
heard it before. Storing tomatoes stem end down does cause
them to last longer. It reduces air and moisture transfering
through the scar.

nancy