Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Low & Slow on my Weber gas grill?

Kent wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> meatnub wrote:
>>
>>> Let's say I want to do a full rack of ribs, I read something about
>>> cutting off the membrane on the back of the ribs. Do you turn the meat
>>> on the grill at all or just let it sit for X number of hours?
>>>
>>> Do you need to baste at all?
>>>

>> I did a full rack of ribs on the gas grill yesterday. The trick is to use
>> indirect heat, so if you have 3 burners, light one and put the meat over
>> the unlit burners. I put foil under my meat to prevent flare-up from
>> drippings. That's fine with a steak, but not with slow smoking.
>>
>> The morning before I want to make the ribs, I rub them and put them in
>> foil in the fridge for a few hours.
>>
>> I peel off the membrane, but it's really not a necessity. I don't think it
>> changes the taste or the eating, I just think its fun to peel it off.
>>
>> I let my grill come up to 250 degrees F. Even 275 is okay, but I prefer
>> 250.
>>
>> From this group I learned the benefit of chunks as opposed to chips. I
>> wrap two good sized chunks of hickory in foil, punch a couple of small
>> holes in the foil, and place one over the burner with the flame. The
>> second one is to replace the first as it usually takes 2 chunks to do
>> ribs.
>>
>> After about 90 minutes, I turn my ribs from meaty-side up to meaty-side
>> down. That's usually when I change the chunk. After another 90 minutes I
>> check for done. If the meat is shrinking back on the bone and the ribs are
>> a mahogany color, they are done.
>>
>> I never baste mine. I have found that most basting sauces contain sugar
>> and the sugar causes the meat to brown too quickly with the outside
>> getting cooked before the inside. I save basting sauces for things like
>> pork chops and fish that grill quickly.
>>
>> Our ribs last night were fantastic. We each had a little puddle of our
>> favorite sauce for dipping on the side, but we hardly use much because the
>> rub gives the ribs such great flavor and they are never dry when cooked
>> slowly over low heat.
>>
>> I hope you have a wonderful time with your new grill.

>> Janet Wilder
>> Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
>> Good Friends. Good Life

> Thanks for what sounds like a great rib routine. I would never have put the
> rack on foil on the grate when you start. It a great idea. On the Weber Gas,
> do you light the front burner or the back burner? Do you put your foil
> covered wood on the burner, or on the flavorizer bars? Do you rotate 180
> degrees for even heat? Do you use a grate thermometer to make sure your temp
> is 250F, or rely on the dome thermometer? In phase two, meat side down, do
> you ever wrap the entire rack with foil to maintain moisture?

I don't have a Weber and I don't know what "flavorizer bars" are but I
put the foil packet with the wood chunk on the grate, over the flame.

I have a thermometer on the cover of the grill (dome thermometer) and
that's the one I use to gage the temperature.

I do not wrap the entire rack with the foil. It gets moisture from the
meat side lying in the drippings caught in the foil as well as from the
fat distributed in the meat.

Good luck and good eating.