Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Good not great wines still provide lots of pleasure (Burg,Mosel)

On Jun 5, 11:02�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
> > Interesting you should mention timing for cooking from recipes. I have
> > found that many recipes, especially from restaurant cook books, way
> > understate the time it takes to cook meats often by 50% or more. Do they
> > actually serve raw meat at their restaurants?

> Or do their ovens operate at higher temperatures? �One of the things
> I've noticed about home ranges is that their thermostats are unreliable
> and the interior temperatures are often 10-50 �F lower than they are
> supposed to be. �Additionally, if the oven is small, it will take longer
> to cook the meat than it would in a larger oven. �A last possibility is
> that their times are given for very rare, and that the cook is expected
> to add time for greater doneness.
>
> Just my $0.02,
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

We discussed whether maybe the opening to baste lowered temps more
than in a restaurant oven. But I can't imagine that it would make as
much difference as this. I think there was a translation error, and
when it said bake 20 minutes, basting twice, it was bake and then
baste 20 minutes, twice.

In general, my experience is usually the opposite. I tend to cut
estimates of time from many cookbooks.