Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Good not great wines still provide lots of pleasure (Burg,Mosel)

Lawrence Leichtman wrote:

> Interesting you should mention timing for cooking from recipes. I have
> found that many recipes, especially from restaurant cook books, way
> understate the time it takes to cook meats often by 50% or more. Do they
> actually serve raw meat at their restaurants?

Or do their ovens operate at higher temperatures? One of the things
I've noticed about home ranges is that their thermostats are unreliable
and the interior temperatures are often 10-50 °F lower than they are
supposed to be. Additionally, if the oven is small, it will take longer
to cook the meat than it would in a larger oven. A last possibility is
that their times are given for very rare, and that the cook is expected
to add time for greater doneness.

Just my $0.02,
Mark Lipton