barry

Default "bread flour"

> "Some bread flour has ascorbic
>
> acid added, some doesn't. I used to be able to choose from four or five
>
> different brands of bread flour, but now I have to take what I can get!
>
> But, adding a little ascorbic acid gives your bread an extra boost, even

if

> there's already some in the flour. I add some if I want an especially
>
> light loaf, it makes the bread less dense. The acidity is also supposed

> make the bread last longer."
>

> Thanks,
>
> Dee

According to things I have read, the amount of ascorbic acid added by those
large-scale bakeries that use it is something on the order of one-eighth
ounce to 100 pounds of flour. And I think, if anything, I've overstated the
amount.

So the notion of someone throwing in a quarter of a vitamin C tablet for a
batch of bread dough is pretty amusing. I guess if a little is good, then a
lot is great, eh.

Barry