Posted to alt.food.wine
Dave Devine Dave Devine is offline

Default FYI..Wine drinkers of the world , unite...

James Silverton > wrote:

> As others have mentioned, my major objection is over-solicitous
> waiters who refill glasses without asking. Sometimes you don't
> notice in time stop them from pouring for people who do not wish
> any more. It seems a bit crass or distasteful to pour from one
> glass to another. I suppose a wine waiter or sommelier might
> wish to bring attention to a noteworthy wine but I prefer not to
> have advice unless I ask for it.

<snip>

At the brew pubs in Cologne and Dusseldorf, they don't ask if you want
another beer, and will actually replace your glass with a fresh, full
one even if you still have a small amount of beer left. Solution? Place
the beer mat on top of your glass and they leave it alone. And yes,
until you suss this trick, you drink more and faster than you probably
intended to.

Dave

--
There's a fine line between stupid and clever.