Posted to alt.food.wine
Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] Lawrence Leichtman[_2_] is offline

Default FYI..Wine drinkers of the world , unite...

In article <14C0k.3518$%Z1.1990@trnddc05>,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> IanH wrote on Sat, 31 May 2008 19:28:25 +0200:
>
> >> Author and journalist Christopher Hitchens has launched a
> >> scathing attack on restaurants and sommeliers, calling them
> >> "barbaric','rude' and 'boors'. Is Hitchens beating the right
> >> drum here?

> > I've not read the article, but I've never found a sommelier to
> > be barbaric rude or boorish. I have once crossed swords with a
> > trainee who didn't know as much as she thought she did, but
> > that's all.

> As others have mentioned, my major objection is over-solicitous
> waiters who refill glasses without asking. Sometimes you don't
> notice in time stop them from pouring for people who do not wish
> any more. It seems a bit crass or distasteful to pour from one
> glass to another. I suppose a wine waiter or sommelier might
> wish to bring attention to a noteworthy wine but I prefer not to
> have advice unless I ask for it.
>
> I guess the restaurants that I frequent are no longer the type
> but I never really liked the custom of a sommelier trying the
> wine using a little saucer hanging from a chain around their
> neck. Has the custom died and if not, what is the correct name
> for the little dish?

We had the exact issue in Santa Fe. So we move the bottle from the edge
of the table. They also want to keep refilling the glasses so you will
end up drinking faster and buy another bottle.