Posted to alt.food.wine
Martin Field Martin Field is offline

Default FYI..Wine drinkers of the world , unite...

"Rick" > wrote in message
. ..
> Author and journalist Christopher Hitchens has launched a scathing attack
> on restaurants and sommeliers,
> calling them "barbaric','rude' and 'boors'. Is Hitchens beating the right
> drum here?
> Cheers,
> Rick
>
> http://www.slate.com/id/2191912/

Hitchens makes some good points.

I've met sommeliers who know a lot more about wine than I do and can talk
knowledgeably about it and or those who don't know much about wine a good
sommelier can be really helpful.

For those who know what they like some sommeliers may appear intrusive and
arrogant.

The ones I detest are the intrusive ones described by Hitchens and those
typical dudes and dudines whose only job it seems is to flog the pricey
bottles and over pour to sell more wine - often with no regard to guests'
wallets or sobriety.

Have you ever noticed that sommeliers never recommend inexpensive wines?

PS as for intrusiveness - I've been to restaurants lately where you are
still interrupted by wait staff wielding giant pepper grinders and parmesan
pots. I though they'd gone out with avocado vinaigrette.

Cheers!
Martin