Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default FYI..Wine drinkers of the world , unite...

On May 30, 7:45 am, "Rick" > wrote:
> Author and journalist Christopher Hitchens has launched a scathing attack on
> restaurants and sommeliers,
> calling them "barbaric','rude' and 'boors'. Is Hitchens beating the right
> drum here?

Many restaurants and clubs seem to think part of their expensive
service is to do everything for you up to, but not including, pre-
chewing of your food :-). I do not see as much of this in the US as in
earlier times, likely because the added staff needed for such details
is too expensive except in the most expensive restaurants. Many years
ago it was a bit different and far more common. I well remember a club
in Houston that some friends took me to on a trip there over 30 years
ago. People still smoked cigarettes at the tables then. The club had
two "cigarette" waiters, dressed in tuxedos, that kept a close eye on
the room and would rush across the room to light a cigarette if they
saw anyone starting to remove a cigarette from a pack.