Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spin Off of Barb's Spin off of Squeaks Family Recipe Collectionsand Nostalgia

Nexis wrote:

> What are your favorite family recipes?

This isn't a recipe but a family story told to all the girls when they
learned to bake.

Once there was a handsome prince who traveled through his country
looking for a thrifty wife. Not just any pretty girl would do. She had
to be thrifty.

One day he came to a village where all the young maidens were baking
cakes. He stopped at one house and asked to lick the bowl. The young
woman gave him most of the batter. He thanked her and went to the next
house where he asked to lick the bowl and was given another huge amount
of batter. This went on in all the houses in the village where the
maidens were baking.

On his way out of town, he passed a poor hut where he saw a young woman
mixing a bowl of batter. He went inside and asked her if he could lick
the bowl. She scraped everything she could from the bowl into her cake
pan and gave him a pretty-much empty bowl to lick.

The prince immediately asked her father for her hand in marriage and
they got married and lived happily ever after.

The moral of the story is (I think) if you never waste food, you will
marry a handsome prince.

My mother told me the story. She said that her own mother had told it to
her. I imparted it to my daughter and to my granddaughters.

Not exactly a family recipe, but definitely a family cooking treasure.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation