Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default After returning ...

On May 23, 7:56�am, Mike Tommasi > wrote:
> Bi!! wrote:
> > I would
> > also point out that virtually every producer that I met with used
> > biodynamic farming to some degree yet we saw plenty of helicopters
> > spraying vineyards during our visit. �Hmmmm.

> Your statement is meaningless without any names attached... but to a
> large extent your claim is true. :-)
>
> Somebody compiled a list on the web of 425 domaines that are allegedly
> Biodynamic. I would guess that maybe 100 are actually certified
> biodynamic, and that only 20 are certified on a significant part of
> their production.
>
> Without certification, any claim to biodynamics is just dabbling and not
> verifiable, therefore dishonest. "Using biodynamic practices" means
> almost nothing.
>
> What percentage of the production of Leflaive, Comptes Lafon or Prieur�
> Roch is Biodynamic? �10%? 5%? 1%? This allows space for lots of
> marketing and lots of helicopters :-)
>
> --
> Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
> email linkhttp://www.tommasi.org/mymail

That was the irony. I don't think that there was any intentional
deceit just a desire to grow the best grapes they can without a lot of
chemical intervention. Many would allude to not using any herbicides,
I saw a few horse pulled plows in the vineyards, and there seemed to
be an avoidance of the issue of pesticides. I suppose it's possible
that the helicopters were spraying salicylicides on the leaves which
alledgedly increases the effects of sunlight on vine growth by
refracting sunlight. I also should clarify that while they mentioned
the use of biodynamic processes I didn't mean to imply that they were
in fact certified as biodynamic growers as far as I know. I'll post a
list today of the sites that I visited.