Posted to alt.food.wine
Bi!! Bi!! is offline

Default After returning ...

On May 22, 5:03�am, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:
> ... from a 5-day trip to Bourgogne, I have meditated on the wines of George
> Fourrier in Gevrey. Why? Perhaps because Mr Fourrier said all the right
> things, was eloquent, very slightly flippant about things I myself could
> very well be sarcastic about, displayed pride on his father showing Big Bob
> the door after saying something suitably earthy ... and because I could not
> come to grips with his wines, of which we tasted 6 or 7, all from the 2006
> vintage.
> Monsieur does not like new oak, and considers it an environmental hazard,
> considering the amount of oak needed to produce all the new oak barrels that
> according to him his Father told him Big Bob haD SAID HE NEEDED TO MAKE good
> wine. Monsieur re-uses his barrels, sterilising them with boiling water to
> avoid bacterial overgrowth (Brett etc). I should be able to relate t that -
> being slightly adverse to new oak, and, on the whole, considering an
> environment as something of a bonus.
> He disapproves of chemical fertilizers, various -icides, but confessed to
> some admiration for the helicopter pilots that spray the fields of some of
> his neighbours. THey really are terrific and deathdefying pilots.
> He was all in favor of terroir, that wine should express its origin, as well
> as its vintage.
> ---
> Now comes the problematic part.
> To me, his wines did not express very much at all. The only wines that I
> could tell apart were those on the village level, the Gevrey vz the Morey St
> Denis.
> After that, despte diligent sniffing, tasting, and making all those funny
> noises that accompany tastings, I could really, really not make out the
> differences. This said, the wines were young, very young even, and not from
> a vintage very likely to shine (neither was 1947, Mr Fourrier helpfully
> pointed out).
> ---
> Does anybody here have any experience with older vintages form this
> producer? I am very curious. Indeed I am.
>
> TIA
>
> Cheers
>
> Nils

I've only had a few of his wines over the past few years. I would say
that during my recent visit to Burgundy virtually everyone we visited
eschewed the use of 100% new oak most opting for about 1/3. One
producer recently left his importer (who shall remain unnamed) because
the importer kept pushing him to add more oak to his wines. I would
also point out that virtually every producer that I met with used
biodynamic farming to some degree yet we saw plenty of helicopters
spraying vineyards during our visit. Hmmmm.