Posted to alt.food.wine
Ronin[_3_] Ronin[_3_] is offline

Default Wine Suggestions Please ? (non-Merlot's)

For whites, try Kenwood Sauvignon Blanc. They've started adding a
little Chardonnay for body and it makes a great wine to poach mussels
or make risotti. Should be in the $10 range. If I'm not drinking
really expensive wine, and I'm just using a little, like a splash to
deglaze a pot, I just use some of what I'm drinking.

Jim

On 2008-05-15 16:53:41 -0700, "Robert11" > said:

> Hi Nils,
>
> I live just outside of Boston, Mass.
>
> Much thanks for help, reallyt appreciate it.
> Sure is a lot to know !
>
> A little confused over which are the relatively inexpensive cooking white
> wines to try that you suggest ?
> Could you perhaps just give me the brand names of a few reds, and a few
> whites in a short list ?
> That would make it a lot easier for a real beginner like me.
>
> Regards, and thanks again,
> Bob
>
> -----------------
> "Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote in message
>> Hello
>>
>> Welcome to the wine group.
>> I think it would help if you told us where you are posting from,
>> geographically, in case you want some specifc ecommendations - it helps if
>> the wines are available.
>> For dry cooking wines I think a basic rule is that they should not be
>> oaked, or at least, not obtrusively so.
>> A Cote-du-Rhone might be useful. They tend to be cheapish, and not heavily
>> oaked. Also they are as arule not tannic which is a bonus.
>>
>> And, yes, white wine is used in cooking - in sauces with fish, in risotto,
>> in specific dishes like Coq au Riesling and Baeckoffe, mussle soup,
>> spaghetthi sauce - a bottle of dry white comes in handy quite often. Here
>> the frist rule also applies - do not use a very oaked wine. In the case of
>> Coq au RIesling (rooster in RIesling) it stands to reason that the wine
>> used should be a Riesling, of the Alsatian type, meaning, dry and fruity.
>> For fish sauces e g an unoaked Chard might do, or a Muscadet, which is
>> never unoaked.
>>
>> Please understand that I oversimplify, slightly - this is for didactic
>> purposes, and many will no doubt point out that Alsatian Rieslings are
>> getting more sweet by the year, and that it can be the done thing to use a
>> very tannic wine indeed (like beef braised in Barolo) in cooking, but you
>> have to start somewhere ...
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Nils
>>
>> "Robert11" > skrev i meddelandet
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Know nothing about wines, frankly.
>>>
>>> Previously I got a friend a Merlot wine for cooking.
>>> Loves it.
>>>
>>> Would like to expand his horizons in cooking wines a bit.
>>>
>>> Might anyone please suggest other, non-Merlot's, for under perhaps $12 or
>>> so for him to try also ?
>>>
>>> Do they use white wines for cooking (much) ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bob