Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] ranck@vt.edu is offline

Default Microwave drawing too much power

Gareth > wrote:

> slk wrote:
> > I have a Panasonic microwave that keeps throwing a 20A breaker. The
> > data plate on the microwave says it should draw 12.7A max, and an amp
> > clamp confirms that it's pulling 21A
> >
> > What could cause this? Is it likely to be fixable by an amateur, or is
> > the microwave history? It's only about a year and a half old, but it's
> > been heavily used in an office setting. (maybe it's time to go with a
> > commercial rated unit)

> Microwave ovens have very high voltages inside, thousands of volts,
> which can be stored in capacitors even when the microwave is off. There
> is also the hazard of high power microwaves leaking out if you don't put
> it back together properly.

> I would advise you to get a new one rather than risk your life trying to
> fix it. Microwaves don't cost much these days so if all the users in
> your office put in a few dollars you could get a nice new one.

I second what Gareth says. You can buy a darn nice microwave for less
than $100 these days. Cheaps ones are less than $50. Way less trouble
to buy a new one than try to fix the old one.

Now, with all that said. I would check to see if something is binding
the turntable. Electric motors draw their highest current as
the approach stalling. So gummy stuff in the turntable bearings could
cause a unit to draw high current and *might* be fixable.

I'd still recommend tossing the old one and getting a new one.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.