Jahnu

Default No need for farm animals.

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 08:55:07 -0600, "Russ Thompson" >
wrote:

>The Hunger Argument
>
>Number of people worldwide who will die of starvation this year: 60
>million.
>Number of people who could be adequately fed with the grain saved if
>Americans reduced their intake of meat by 10 perc.: 60 million
>Human beings in America: 243 million
>Number of people who could be fed with grain and soybeans now eaten by
>U.S. livestock: 1.3 billion
>Percentage of corn grown in the U.S. eaten by people: 20
>Percentage of corn grown in the U.S. eaten by livestock: 80
>Percentage of oats grown in the U.S. eaten by livestock: 95
>Percentage of protein waste by cycling grain through livestock: 99
>How frequently a child starves to death: every 2 seconds
>Pounds of potatoes that can be grown on an ac 20.OOO
>

>*** Much to my surpise I have discovered that there are certain people who
>actually buy into the above.

Much to my surprise I have discovered that there are certain people
who actually willfully choose to live in denial of the above.

> My question for those people is if you are under the impression that
>the above could be true what is your opinion of CRP?

It couldn't be very high, could it?

> For those that don't know CRP is the program where the FSA pays land
>owners not to grow crops on their land. Normal contracts are for 10 years
>and the land must me planted to grass and left alone. In exchange the land
>owner recieves a direct payment that is usually about 150% of the local
>going rate for rented farm land. Currently there are millions of acres in
>this program in the USA.

Can you prove that? Or do you really want us to just take your word
for it?

www.krishna.com
www.iskcon.org