Russ Thompson

Default No need for farm animals.

The Hunger Argument

Number of people worldwide who will die of starvation this year: 60
million.
Number of people who could be adequately fed with the grain saved if
Americans reduced their intake of meat by 10 perc.: 60 million
Human beings in America: 243 million
Number of people who could be fed with grain and soybeans now eaten by
U.S. livestock: 1.3 billion
Percentage of corn grown in the U.S. eaten by people: 20
Percentage of corn grown in the U.S. eaten by livestock: 80
Percentage of oats grown in the U.S. eaten by livestock: 95
Percentage of protein waste by cycling grain through livestock: 99
How frequently a child starves to death: every 2 seconds
Pounds of potatoes that can be grown on an ac 20.OOO

*** Much to my surpise I have discovered that there are certain people who
actually buy into the above.
My question for those people is if you are under the impression that
the above could be true what is your opinion of CRP?
For those that don't know CRP is the program where the FSA pays land
owners not to grow crops on their land. Normal contracts are for 10 years
and the land must me planted to grass and left alone. In exchange the land
owner recieves a direct payment that is usually about 150% of the local
going rate for rented farm land. Currently there are millions of acres in
this program in the USA.

Kala Thompson
Farmer
Richland Center, Wi USA