Posted to rec.food.cooking
merryb merryb is offline

Default Finishing Salts

On Apr 22, 10:52*pm, sf <.> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:47:55 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
> wrote:
>
> >So I see this trend a bit lately in things I've read. Have any of you
> >tried any of them? I'm a bit curious, and there is a store that offers
> >tastings here in the Seattle area. Just wondering if it's just a fad,
> >or if they really add a lot of flavor, besides salt!

> I'm not sure what you mean by finishing salt, but if you're in Seattle
> and near Pike Place, go to the herb/spice shop at the main
> entrance.... it's across from the stall where they throw the fish
> around. *The herb shop carries lots of different salts in bulk, so you
> can buy a tiny amount to try. *If you like it, you can always go back
> and buy more.
>
> --
> See return address to reply by email
> remove the smile first

I read an article about them- they're used right before serving- not
for cooking with. From what I understand, areas of the world have
different soil/mineral makeup, which is suppossed to lend different
flavors to the salt. I saw one that was beautiful pink crystals, and
another salt that was smoked. There are more varieties, but that's all
I can recall from the top of my head. Thanks for the shopping info-
that store is right by my fave, DeLaurenti's.