Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy[_2_] Andy[_2_] is offline

Default ((( Taco Trucks Threatened in L.A. Sign Petition Now! )))

Steve Pope said...

> Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
>
>>A taco truck and a restaurant are apples and oranges. I would
>>patronize a taco truck over a restaurant, depending upon the taco
>>truck or the restaurant :-)

>>And I absolutely agree: restaruants aren't going to lose business to
>>taco trucks unless the restaurant sucks. How can it be else?

> I still believe that something about the confined space within
> a taco truck causes flavors to concentrate and seep into the
> burritos making them that much more flavorful.
>
> Steve

Talk about confined spaces, on the sidewalks around Philadelphia there are
food "cabins" that are about 6' x 4' with someone inside cooking hot foods,
making sandwiches, hoagies, sodas, etc., with a good amount of variety. I
don't think they can even stand up in them, I sure couldn't. Extremely
claustrophobic, imho!

Different cuisine can be found at the same corners day after day so
customers know where to fine them routinely. Some just serve lunch, others
start earlier with breakfast to grab some arriving morning commuter
dollars.

They get an incredible amount of business since customers find it much more
convenient to walk out of the office and have food carts right outside to
choose from. It's also easy to let your nose be your guide. And the prices
are very low with no sacrifice in quality. Competition is too fierce to
slack on quality.

They keep supplies on hand on ice in vans next to them and at the end of
the day they re-hitch the cart back to their vans and drive off.

I don't imagine it's a Philly thing, I just never saw them before moving
here.

Andy
It's FINALLY Presidential Primary Election Day in PA!!!
Could mean a breakfast Philly cheesesteak after voting.