Rubystars

Default Sleazy PETA, gratuitously provocative and tasteless as ever

"MEow" > wrote in message
> While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, Rubystars of SBC
> http://yahoo.sbc.com said:
>
> >These are worthy goals. PETA intends to do much more than that though,

they
> >intend to end all animal use, not just abuse.
> >

> The big question is then where the line between use and abuse lies.

Yes, and that's where I feel the debate could be most productive, fighting
hard and long for animal welfare. Look at all the energy that PETA expends
on turning children against their mommies (did you see the Mommy kills
animals comic?), making offensive images of Madonna and child with a dead
chicken substituted for Jesus, supporting terror groups like ALF and ELF,
etc. That energy would be so much better spent if they were working hard to
help animals and end animal suffering.

Working to try to do something about improving conditions on factory farms,
making fur seem unfashionable (perhaps promoting faux instead), exposing why
its a bad idea to buy wild caught pets, and why its a better idea many times
to opt for captive bred ones, working for better animal cruelty laws and
stiffer penalties, etc. would all be better than what they're doing now.
They have done some good, but they expend so much energy on nonsense and
hype and strangeness and being loud and offensive that they are diverting
far too many resources from actually helping animals while making animal
advocacy look like a cause full of kooks.

> I've now begun eating fish again, because my body insisted
> persistently, and it got to a point where I couldn't ignore it; and I
> feel better now (though it's a recent change), so I guess it must be
> some vital nutrient I was missing in my diet. I imagine it to be some
> of the fatty acids.

You need to take care of yourself first. I think anyone who says you're
doing something wrong here is mistaken.

> Some people would consider that to be abuse, but I don't think I'm
> helping anyone by damaging my health, and until I find a way of making
> sure that I get those nutrients on a veg*n diet, I won't be on one.
> Keep in mind that when I decided to go veggie, I also decided that if
> I couldn't get enough of the right nutrients that way, I'd stop.

The best situation is if you can meet your own needs AND meet your ethical
goals at the same time. Eating fish isn't cruel, IMO. As much as we hate to
think of ourselves this way, humans are predators. I don't think everyone
needs to eat meat (and of course there are a lot of people who have lived
for a very long time very healthily without it), but some people may need to
eat some... it could just be how your body chemistry is. Doctors don't even
know everything there is to know about nutrition so there may be some
nutrients that are hard to get without meat that people don't really know
that much about yet.

> I plan to still stick around, for recipes and such, as I still eat
> vegan meals most of the time, though. Some people might tell me off
> for this, but that's their business, and I'm not going to let them
> bother me.

I like to come here to alt.food.vegan to see the recipes and learn about new
foods. I love to try new things and a lot of vegan foods are truly
excellent.

I picked up some falafel mix from Fiesta the other day and I love it!

I think some of my posts have been coming over here from
alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian though due to crossposting of the posts I'm
replying to. I hope people don't think I'm a troll for having posted
political stuff here in that way.

-Rubystars