Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default CSA, Community Supported Agriculture/Victory Garden

On Apr 6, 12:47*pm, "Woolstitcher" > wrote:

> Anyway ... if you had limited space and a limited budget what 3 things would
> you plant in a victory garden?

Not knowing your climate, I'll assume it's spring. Not knowing how
big a limited space is, I'll assume 4 feet x 4 feet. (Why not, I've
got to assume something?) Though the budget is limited I'll assume
the soil is okay without vast additions of compost, and the payoff is
going to be productive for whatever money is spent on seeds or plants.

Put a trellis or netting or series of poles up along one side (north
or east if you're in the northern hemisphere) of the plot. Plant
Kentucky Wonder pole beans along that side to grow vertically. That'll
cost you less than $2US for the seeds and you won't use them all. KWs
are delicious and very productive. Once they mature you'll want to
pick them small because you won't be able to keep up with them.

Find a nursery that sells heirloom tomatoes and plant one of them.
That'll cost you about $4US. Brandywine is our favorite but there
are others said to be as delicious. Consult the nursery people, saying
all you care about is taste, ignore other factors. Plant this in the
southwest corner of your plot. Fill the rest of the space, not
forgetting that the tomato plant will get quite large, with basil.
That's three, inexpensive, in a small plot, and you'll love the
results. -aem