Posted to rec.food.cooking
PeterLucas[_4_] PeterLucas[_4_] is offline

Default REC: Time to start on the Christmas Cake

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
3.184:

> On Thu 03 Apr 2008 07:07:40p, Puester told us...
>
>> PeterLucas wrote:
>>> My recently widowed BIL is coming up to stay for awhile at the end
>>> of the month, and his SO was the Christmas Cake maker in the family.
>>> Somewhat of a tradition, it was. Even when living in England, she
>>> used to make a huge cake and send it to the family here in Oz in
>>> time for the family Christmas get-together.
>>>
>>> I made a cake for us last Chritmas (the first one without a K1
>>> cake), and my SO (who doesn't like fruit cake, but loved this one!!)
>>> has passed on the Family Christmas Cake Maker honour from her older
>>> sister, to me. She told me that K1 would have been proud of my cake.
>>>

>>> So............... this year I'm going to make them well in advance,
>>> and let them 'mature' in the cupboard till Christmas time. I'll give
>>> the BIL one to take back home to share with his kids and friends
>>> down south.
>>>

>>> Peters Christmas Cake.

>> That sounds like something my husband would like. (He's one
>> of the
>> few Yanks I know who likes fruitcake.)
>>
>> Question: What is mixed spice? Mixed spice in the U.S. is
>> pickling spices,
>> like bayleaf, various aromatic seeds (mustard, celery),
>> dried peppers, etc.
>> not something I'd expect to find in fruitcake. I thought
>> maybe cinnamon and
>> nutmeg, but I see those listed separately.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> It's very thoughtful of you to take on your SIL's tradition.
>>
>> gloria p
>>

> There are varying combinations depending on the brand of "mixed spice"
> you buy in the UK. A British friend sent me this "recipe" several
> years ago and I use it in fruitcake, mincemeat, and even in my pumpkin
> pies.
>
> 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
> 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
> 1 teaspoon Mace
> 1 teaspoon Allspice
> 1 teaspoon Cloves
> 1 teaspoon Ginger
> 1 teaspoon Coriander Seeds
>
> It's even nicer if you can use whole spices and grind them all
> together. The taste is much brighter and fresher.

Thanks for that Wayne. I might even give it a whirl instead of buying
the pre-packaged stuff.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing.

Edmund Burke.