Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Time to start on the Christmas Cake

On Thu 03 Apr 2008 07:07:40p, Puester told us...

> PeterLucas wrote:
>> My recently widowed BIL is coming up to stay for awhile at the end of
>> the month, and his SO was the Christmas Cake maker in the family.
>> Somewhat of a tradition, it was. Even when living in England, she used
>> to make a huge cake and send it to the family here in Oz in time for the
>> family Christmas get-together.
>>
>> I made a cake for us last Chritmas (the first one without a K1 cake),
>> and my SO (who doesn't like fruit cake, but loved this one!!) has passed
>> on the Family Christmas Cake Maker honour from her older sister, to me.
>> She told me that K1 would have been proud of my cake.
>>

>> So............... this year I'm going to make them well in advance, and
>> let them 'mature' in the cupboard till Christmas time. I'll give the BIL
>> one to take back home to share with his kids and friends down south.
>>

>> Peters Christmas Cake.

> That sounds like something my husband would like. (He's one
> of the
> few Yanks I know who likes fruitcake.)
>
> Question: What is mixed spice? Mixed spice in the U.S. is
> pickling spices,
> like bayleaf, various aromatic seeds (mustard, celery),
> dried peppers, etc.
> not something I'd expect to find in fruitcake. I thought
> maybe cinnamon and
> nutmeg, but I see those listed separately.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> It's very thoughtful of you to take on your SIL's tradition.
>
> gloria p

There are varying combinations depending on the brand of "mixed spice" you
buy in the UK. A British friend sent me this "recipe" several years ago
and I use it in fruitcake, mincemeat, and even in my pumpkin pies.

1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Nutmeg
1 teaspoon Mace
1 teaspoon Allspice
1 teaspoon Cloves
1 teaspoon Ginger
1 teaspoon Coriander Seeds

It's even nicer if you can use whole spices and grind them all together.
The taste is much brighter and fresher.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 04(IV)/03(III)/08(MMVIII)