Posted to rec.food.cooking
PeterLucas[_4_] PeterLucas[_4_] is offline

Default REC: Time to start on the Christmas Cake

Puester > wrote in
:

> PeterLucas wrote:
>> My recently widowed BIL is coming up to stay for awhile at the end of
>> the month, and his SO was the Christmas Cake maker in the family.
>> Somewhat of a tradition, it was. Even when living in England, she
>> used to make a huge cake and send it to the family here in Oz in time
>> for the family Christmas get-together.
>>
>> I made a cake for us last Chritmas (the first one without a K1 cake),
>> and my SO (who doesn't like fruit cake, but loved this one!!) has
>> passed on the Family Christmas Cake Maker honour from her older
>> sister, to me. She told me that K1 would have been proud of my cake.
>>

>> So............... this year I'm going to make them well in advance,
>> and let them 'mature' in the cupboard till Christmas time. I'll give
>> the BIL one to take back home to share with his kids and friends down
>> south.
>>

>> Peters Christmas Cake.

> That sounds like something my husband would like. (He's one
> of the
> few Yanks I know who likes fruitcake.)

If he likes fruitcake, he'll *love* this one :-)

Is that true? Most Yanks don't like fruitcake?
I take it you're not a Yank?

> Question: What is mixed spice? Mixed spice in the U.S. is
> pickling spices,
> like bayleaf, various aromatic seeds (mustard, celery),
> dried peppers, etc.
> not something I'd expect to find in fruitcake. I thought
> maybe cinnamon and
> nutmeg, but I see those listed separately.
>
> Any ideas?

Had a quick look......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_spice

http://womansday.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=177043

http://www.mccormick.com.au/productdetail.cfm?ID=5104

http://www.gourmetshopper.com.au/sho...?productid=224

http://www.masterfoods.com.au/produc...528&ProdCat=17

Seems they all have different versions.
And it seems you can't get it in the States for love, nor money.

I can always drop some in the mail :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane