usual suspect

Default I have a small iron defficiency- which food should I eat?

Rubystars wrote:
<snip>
> In general people should avoid consuming too much red meat and probably not
> eat too much meat anyway.

It's not too big of an issue if it's lean. Not all "red meat" is the same.

> However, for someone with an iron deficiency and
> who knows what else, a big juicy steak might be what helps them, even if
> it's generally considered to be an unhealthy choice.

Even a little meat in moderation should benefit someone with anemia. One
of the studies I didn't cite before showed that nonheme iron was
absorbed more easily in the presence of heme iron from meat. The study
showed that just eating 50 or 75 grams (about an eighth of a pound) of
pork increased nonheme absorption by 44% to 57% (respectively on 50g and
75g trials).

http://tinyurl.com/x8b2

<snip>