usual suspect

Default I have a small iron defficiency- which food should I eat?

sgdunn top-posted (dammit):
> Something else to be aware of is that calcium and magnesium reduce iron
> absorption. If you're taking a calcium or magnesium supplement, go off it
> until your iron deficiency is eliminated.

Better yet, ask a dietician who has access to his/her last blood
profile. Many people who have one deficiency often have another. What
good is it to increase one mineral at the expense of another? You people
would amuse me if someone's health weren't at stake here.

> Sulfur increases iron loss via the kidneys, in addition to increasing
> losses of calcium, magnesium, zinc, and other odds and ends. The main
> dietery sources of sulphur are the methionine and cystine in protein. On
> average, plant protein is lower in sulfur than animal protein, but it still
> has a considerable amount. Corn, rice, and wheat protein is high in sulfur.
> If you've been purposely eating foods high in protein, as many vegans seem
> to think they have to, stop.

Geez, you perverted fruitcake. The OP needs a dietician. He or she has
at least two underlying health issues, both of which are too serious for
a bunch of vegan activists on usenet to play doctor. One of the first
things a dietician is going to stress is how the OP can control his/her
diabetes. Protein is an important part of reducing glycemic load in
diabetics, asshole. Stop playing with someone else's health.

> Tannins (which are found at high levels in tea) reduce iron absorption.
> In addition, phytic acid (found in all seeds, including beans, nuts and
> whole grains) also reduces iron absorption by bonding with iron molecules.
> (Phytates can't be absorbed. Obviously, eliminating it from your diet's not
> an option, but it something to keep in mind, especially if you've been
> trying to eat lots of beans, tofu, and whole grain foods.
> Oxalic acid bonds with iron as well, reducing its absorbability. It's
> found in all foods at varying levels. It's not as big a deal as some people
> think it is, but I'd suggest that you not eat cooked or frozen spinich.
> (Because of its high oxalic acid content, and because much of its iron hass
> already bonded to oxalic acid either during cooking or while the leaves are
> alive, cooked spinich actually reduces iron absorption.)

So what can the OP eat, Dr Einstein? Remember, he/she has diabetes as
well as being borderline anemic. Come on, be a good little quack and
give him/her some menu ideas.