sgdunn

Default I have a small iron defficiency- which food should I eat?

Something else to be aware of is that calcium and magnesium reduce iron
absorption. If you're taking a calcium or magnesium supplement, go off it
until your iron deficiency is eliminated.
Sulfur increases iron loss via the kidneys, in addition to increasing
losses of calcium, magnesium, zinc, and other odds and ends. The main
dietery sources of sulphur are the methionine and cystine in protein. On
average, plant protein is lower in sulfur than animal protein, but it still
has a considerable amount. Corn, rice, and wheat protein is high in sulfur.
If you've been purposely eating foods high in protein, as many vegans seem
to think they have to, stop.
Tannins (which are found at high levels in tea) reduce iron absorption.
In addition, phytic acid (found in all seeds, including beans, nuts and
whole grains) also reduces iron absorption by bonding with iron molecules.
(Phytates can't be absorbed. Obviously, eliminating it from your diet's not
an option, but it something to keep in mind, especially if you've been
trying to eat lots of beans, tofu, and whole grain foods.
Oxalic acid bonds with iron as well, reducing its absorbability. It's
found in all foods at varying levels. It's not as big a deal as some people
think it is, but I'd suggest that you not eat cooked or frozen spinich.
(Because of its high oxalic acid content, and because much of its iron hass
already bonded to oxalic acid either during cooking or while the leaves are
alive, cooked spinich actually reduces iron absorption.) "§odapop"
58...

http://animal-ingredients.hypermart.net/
> the web site is a booklet that is for vegans so they will know about

animal