Default Why eat What? (was: Battery Eggs in Veggie Products.)

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:14:48 +0000 (UTC), "Ray" > wrote:

> This months RSPCA Newsletter contains some info on battery eggs used in
>supermarket products.
> Perhaps e-mailing your supermarket may provoke some response.
>
>Legally there is no problem, but do fancy eating veggie products containing
>battery eggs?
>

>1/ Battery eggs
>2/ Hunting ban
>3/ Primate research
>
>1/ BATTERY EGGS IN VEGGIE PRODUCTS
>A new RSPCA survey has revealed that 80 per cent of supermarkets, including
>Asda, Sainsbury's and Tesco, use battery eggs in their own-brand products
>labelled 'suitable for vegetarians'.
>
>The RSPCA believes this could come as a shock to the estimated four million
>vegetarians living in the UK - many will have chosen a vegetarian diet
>because they do not want to eat foods derived from cruel farming methods.

[...]

Yeah, there ya go... If you veg*ns bought stuff like cage free eggs, then
you would be promoting that method. (I know there's a difference between cage
free and free range, and I believe both provide decent lives for the vast majority
of the birds.) It seems that at least half the stuff like vegetarian chicken and other
things besides tofu have egg whites in them, and of course those are from
battery hens here in the US. I noticed it a couple of years ago, and have been
thinking ever since that it's too bad there isn't a significantly large group of
people who would like to provide decent lives for animals with their diets. But
there don't appear to be. In fact, from what I've seen in these news groups
there not only aren't people who want to do that, but everyone (to quote the
Gonad) on both sides is OPPOSED to seeing anyone want to do that...or at
least opposed to suggesting people consider that alternative when contemplating
what they could do to achieve a more ethical lifestyle.
And to make it even stranger, the people who pretend to be the most ethically
solid with their choice of diets (that means the veg*ns for the most part), and who
certainly appear to be most convinced that theirs' is the most ethically solid (again
that be the veg*ns for the most part), and who most pretend to be interested in
animals (...veg*ns...), are the same people who want to see future farm animals
prevented and NOT provided with better lives.
So the people who pretend to want them to have better lives realy want "them"
to have none, and both they and the people who do want them to have lives are
opposed to other people trying to promote decent lives for them with their diet.
Both sides are on common ground there. So maybe someone from one or both
sides can explain why you agree that it would be a bad thing if more (if any!) people
began trying to contribute to decent lives for food animals with their diet?