Posted to alt.food.mexican-cooking
Wayne Lundberg Wayne Lundberg is offline

Default Taco Nazi article for Booger

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
. ..
> No tacos at a Mexican restaurant?
> Randy Cordova
> The Arizona Republic
> Mar. 28, 2008
> Mexican dining guide.
>

> For more than 30 years, Rito's has offered a basic menu and some
> to-die-for food.
>

> It's gotten even more basic: The Mexican eatery has quietly dropped basic
> tacos and tostadas from the menu.
>

> "We just decided to simplify the menu," says Charlotte Hansen, daughter of
> Rito's founder Rosemary Salinas. "Sometimes you have to focus on things
> other than business."
>

> That's not a surprise coming from the Salinas clan. The restaurant has
> built up a devoted following, even though there has never been a sign
> posted outside the little restaurant at 907 N. 14th St., Phoenix.
>

> For instance, the shop used to be open on Saturdays, but that was dropped
> in the '90s. Later, the hours were cut back, with the restaurant closing
> at 4 p.m. weekdays.
>

> "It's not a happy family if you don't have time to be with your family,"
> Hansen says. "My mom has always taken pride in what we serve, but we've
> also taken time to be a family."
>

> Hansen says her mom has been slowing down in recent months, which is one
> reason for cutting out tacos. Another reason: The overwhelming popularity
> of burros at the restaurant. Rito's green chili burro, served enchilada
> style, is simply mouth-watering and is one reason the place has developed
> such a loyal following.
>

> "Yesterday, we went through 80 dozen tortillas," Hansen says. "That's a
> lot of burros!"
>

> And when you have limited kitchen space and so much food to prepare,
> sometimes certain things have to be let go. Still, customers long for the
> tacos.
>

> "People miss them," she says. "They want to know if they're coming back,
> but right now, we're respecting my mother's wishes."
>

> Don't give up hope, though. Hansen says they're considering returning the
> Mexican restaurant staple to the menu.
>

> "We're a Mexican restaurant: People expect tacos," she said. "Six or seven
> years ago, we stopped selling tacos, and they called us the taco Nazis.
> Hopefully, they won't be gone forever."
>

> That's for sure.

Burros, burritos are a true North American dish. They are not typical
Mexican fare. But they are a delight! I love a good burrito, flour tortilla,
refried beans, topped with green salsa. We're fortunate here in San Diego to
have Tinas burritos, Beans and cheese, beef, etc... and to top them off
great Victoria Salsa Verde, thickn chunky in all heats... About 35 cents
each burrito and about 30 cents worth of salsa and a spoonful of sour
cream... fabulous mid-day break!

Burritos are not tacos nor enchiladas. They are flour tortilla based bean
goodies invented by the Mexican braseros in the US during WWII who could not
get corn tortillas nor their standard Mexican foods. Flour and beans are
plentiful in the US, so they adapted.

Wayne